The Monash Multidisciplinary Platform – Global Asia in the 21st Century (GA21) takes a leading role in identifying and researching key issues that impact Asia, its communities and beyond. The research platform locates "Asia in the Global" and the "Global in Asia".
Monash University Malaysia is an integral member of the Asian and global academic community with many scholars focusing on issues broadly related to Asia. GA21 as a multidisciplinary research platform looks to bring together Monash University Malaysia scholars and external collaborators to work on frontier research on Asia and its role on the global stage.
The core focus of the multidisciplinary platform is people, organisations and society. The mission of Global Asia in the 21st century is to promote research by exploring contemporary issues impacting Asia. This platform supports diverse research clusters where communities of multidisciplinary scholars come together to establish, examine and interrogate critically research themes that explore Asia’s economic, social, political and social emergence on the global platform.
The research platform is constituted by 6 primary clusters to drive research. The clusters are:
1. Society and Culture
2. Health and Wellbeing
3. Science, Technology and Society
4. Market Analytics
5. Halal Ecosystem
6. Sustainable Development
The role contributes primarily to research based activities, conducting competitive research, either independently or as part of research team, as well as providing a significant contribution to service and leadership.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will participate in one or more of the main research clusters in the GA21 platform. The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will normally work with a small team to conduct research and execute research projects. The research project teams will normally be organized and led by a senior academic(s).
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will also have opportunity to further develop additional research skills and competencies such that they enhance their capability to contribute research activities of the GA21 Platform.
The incumbent is expected to have strong and growing research capability in either quantitative and/or qualitative research.
On the quantitative side the Postdoctoral Research Fellow should be highly competent in areas such as secondary and primary data collection, survey design, and advanced statistical modelling. Skills in programming and coding (R, C++, Java, Python, etc), data analytics, advanced simulations and modelling would also be desirable, or at least the researcher should have the inclination to develop advanced statistical and programming skills.
On the qualitative side the Postdoctoral Research Fellow should be highly competent in in executing qualitative research designs, conducting interviews and focus groups, and conducting qualitative analysis using a variety of approaches (e.g phenomenology, grounded theory, anthropology, observation study), developing case studies, benchmarking best practices as well being well versed in analytical programs, such as NVivo. Appreciation of mixed methods, particularly the ability to understand and interact with quantitative researcher would be highly desired.
Key result areas and responsibility
The key result areas of Research, Teaching, and Service are the basis for the primary duties and responsibilities of the role. A workload will be agreed annually with the Head of School in the Performance Development Plan Process. Other duties may be required from time to time as directed by the Head of School.
- Undertake competitive research and high quality research in the discipline / field.
- Contribute to the preparation or, where appropriate, individual preparation of research proposal submissions to external funding bodies.
- Contribute in research design and data collection
- Conduct extensive literature reviews and meta-analysis of reviews.
- Assist in the conceptual development and implementation of research
- Disseminate research findings through seminars, workshops and conferences.
- Publish in high quality refereed journals in manner consistent with disciplinary practice.
- Aspire to be recognised internationally for research in the field.
- Develop a coherent program of research
- Contribute to the development of IP and copyright material.
- Assist in the development and delivery of research and teaching related content.
- Undertake administrative functions associated with research activities.
- Develop new skills and competencies in line with the developing needs of the field of research.
- Contribute to the development of a collegial and supportive work environment.
- Contribute to engagement and management within the platform and campus.
- Foster and promote relationships with professional bodies, industry and affiliated associations, government departments, and the wider community.
- Participate in professional body and other external activities as required.
- Involvement in professional activities including, subject to availability of funds, attendance at conferences and seminars in the field of expertise.
Key selection criteria
1. A completed PhD in a relevant academic discipline.
2. Evidence of a record of research outputs in high quality refereed journals consistent with the discipline.
3. Evidence of quality and impact of research outputs including journal rankings, citation indices, reputation and standing of publishing house, or equivalent esteem measures as appropriate to the discipline.
4. Demonstrated high level communication and interpersonal skills with a commitment to the development of a collegial and supportive working environment and the ability to interact with students and staff with cross cultural sensitivity.
5. Demonstrated commitment to applying relevant and applicable policies, procedures and legislation in the day-to-day performance of the functions of this position.
1. We encourage applicants from developing countries (India, Bangladesh, China, etc.) with the requisite skills to apply.
2. Commitment to quality teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
3. Demonstrated ability to supervise HDR students.
4. A history of successful competitive grant applications.
To apply, send your Cover Letter and Resume to recruit@ monash.edu and quote the job number.