The Bioinformatics Analyst is a junior level position responsible for supporting the computational analysis needs of the Genomics and Bioinformatics Core (GBC) which is located in the New York State Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics and Life Sciences (CBLS). The Center is part of UB’s Office of Business and Entrepreneur Partnerships (BEP) that provides incubator space, supports commercialization of UB technologies and connects industry with UB faculty and core facilities for research and development initiatives.
The Bioinformatics Analyst reports to the Director of the GBC. The GBC is a university asset providing next-generation sequencing and gene expression services to both academia and industry. Along with supporting academic research, the GBC plays a critical role in UB’s economic development mission by collaborating with industry partners/clients to support their R&D needs.
The Bioinformatics Analyst will work with other GBC staff members and interact with internal principal investigators, external collaborators both domestic and international, and private industry partners. Responsibilities include reviewing quality metrics of all GBC data, analysis of multiple types of genomic, epigenomic, transcriptomic, and microbiome data generated. The Bioinformatics Analyst will develop and modify computational algorithms adhering to industry standard best-practices.
Primary duties and responsibilities for this position include:
- Project planning, and implementation with internal and external collaborators
- Monitoring quality of data produced by GBC personnel
- Single-cell RNA-Seq analysis
- Active troubleshooting of complex sequencing related issues
- Installation of commercial and open-source data analysis pipelines
- Development and maintenance of software modules in Linux (using lmod)
- Programming custom solutions for non-standard analysis workflows
- Data management of data produced by the core facility (~100 TB)
- Facilitating data delivery of large quantities of data using secure protocols
- Parallel computing in a cluster (SLURM) and cloud (Eucalyptus) environment
Supporting University Initiatives
Along with GBC specific responsibilities, the Bioinformatics Analyst is tasked with supporting research that is crucial to the Center of Excellence and Bioinformatics (CBLS) as well as projects funded to industry partners through the UB Center for Advanced Technology in Big Data & Health Sciences (UB CAT). These projects work to advanced genomic medicine here in Western New York and this position will provide analysis expertise, consulting and support for projects.
Various Duties as assigned.