Performs highly-skilled laboratory functions and other technical duties in support of coursework.
- Sets up, maintains, and organizes student laboratories
- Assists students with setting up experiments and other learning exercises, and with the use of equipment and materials
- Maintains appropriate safety and hygiene standards
- Maintains required documentation related to laboratory activities
- Manages equipment and materials inventories.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Lehman College seeks a College Laboratory Technician for the Health Sciences department.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains current inventory of all food, equipment, and supplies, and procures and stores food ingredients, food preparation, and analytical equipment required for food science and cultural food laboratory classes and the food science research laboratory.
- Sets up all instructional materials for the undergraduate and graduate laboratory classes in the Dietetics, Foods and Nutrition program as requested by the instructors.
- Maintains safe and appropriate storage of laboratory equipment, conducts preventive maintenance procedures, and updates equipment inventory in the food preparation and research laboratories.
- Maintains food preparation and food science research laboratories in compliance with safety and health standards; complies with and ensures fire and safety inspection preparedness; obtains and maintains laboratory safety certification in compliance with city, state, and federal regulations. Ensures laboratory compliance with occupational health and safety standards in consultation with the Office of Environmental Health and Safety.
- Instructs students on proper sanitation, food and equipment operation and storage, appropriate laboratory attire, and general maintenance of the laboratories. Assists with laboratory instruction as needed.
- Serves as the department liaison with Information Technology Services to ensure appropriate and timely upgrades of software and hardware as well as ongoing system maintenance.
- Submits requests for laboratory sanitation and maintenance, and follows up to ensure timely and orderly completion of maintenance activities.
- Tracks semester and annual food laboratory expenses.
- Supervises students conducting related instructional activities in the food preparation laboratory.
- Provides technical laboratory assistance for research projects.
High School Diploma with a minimum of four years’ related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate degree may be substituted for two years experience, and a Bachelor’s degree may be substituted for four years experience.
BS in foods and nutrition or equivalent or DTR credential preferred. ServSafe credential or equivalent.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
February 25, 2017
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.