Director, Division of Occupational Therapy
American International College
An exciting opportunity exists for an enthusiastic individual with demonstrated excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service to foster a collaborative atmosphere among students, faculty, staff and the community and lead the Occupational Therapy division at American International College. The Director reports to the Dean of Health Sciences and is responsible for overall management of the Occupational Therapy division.
In addition to the MSOT program, the new Director would oversee the launch and implementation of an innovative, online Post-Professional OTD program to prepare future OT educators and leaders. The program is currently pending review by our regional accrediting agency.
This is a full time, twelve-month, exempt position 35 hours per week. Normal Office Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., flexible to the needs of the department. This position offers a generous benefits package.
- Work effectively with faculty, students, administrators, alumni, the College community and external communities.
- Manage personnel, student, resources, curriculum, and budget.
- Actively engage in the professional community to enhance visibility of Division and School.
- Conduct faculty performance appraisals.
- Assist with recruitment, retention, and mentoring of faculty.
- Work collaboratively with Admissions Office, Center for Academic Success, and other related offices to coordinate and oversee recruitment, retention, and advisement of students.
- Actively participate in Dean's Leadership Council.
- Contribute to course scheduling process that addresses program needs and maximizes School resources.
- Provide programmatic academic leadership.
- Keep abreast best practices in health professions education.
- Recommend and oversee undergraduate or graduate program development or curriculum revision to reflect best practices in health professions education.
- Facilitate development/implementation of divisional goals & objectives.
- Monitor continued compliance with policies, academic standards, and accreditation requirements for respective programs.
- Attend scheduled general faculty, school faculty, and departmental faculty meetings; attend Town meetings and Faculty Assembly meetings.
- Attend required convocations, meetings, commencement, academic awards ceremonies, and workshops and be available to participate in activities that promote the College in a positive manner both on and off campus.
- Demonstrate commitment to interprofessional education.
- Contribute to preparation of school documents such as, strategic/action plans, annual reports, catalogs, and other publications.
- Facilitate oversight of quality control and accountability processes for programs.
- Participate in the development and implementation of school wide initiatives to enhance the quality of programs.
- Ensure continued compliance with policies and standards related to admission and progression of students in programs
- Teach up to 4 credits year as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by Dean.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
About American International College
- Doctorate in occupational therapy or related discipline is required.
- Academic doctorate (e.g. PhD, EdD) is preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of professional practice experience in OT is required.
- Minimum 5 years of teaching experience in a college or university setting; leadership experience, and interprofessional collaboration in an educational and/or practice setting.
- Administrative experience at the program or department level is preferred.
- Licensure or eligibility for licensure as an occupational therapist in the State of Massachusetts is required.
- Strong commitment to high quality instruction in a diverse, student-centered environment and the ability to work with students with various learning styles and backgrounds.
- Interest in active and collaborative learning and enthusiasm for working in an interprofessional setting.
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite, Blackboard, and the use of instructional technology to teach traditional, hybrid or online courses as needed and serve as a resource for faculty using these tools.
American International College is a private, coeducational institution of higher education located on a 70+ acre campus in Springfield, Massachusetts. The campus has 42 buildings on two sites approximately 1/2 mile apart with a total of approximately 660,000 gross square feet. Included in the inventory of buildings are student residences for a resident population of 900 students.
Founded in 1885, the College has 3700 graduate and undergraduate students. AIC offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs through the Schools of Business, Arts and Sciences; Health Sciences; and Education. The mission of the College is to transform student lives through career focused learning, with a strong foundation in the liberal arts, a commitment to serving the community, and a high level of involvement in the global economy.
Living in Springfield
Springfield is the state’s third largest city and a regional health, retail and financial center. An urban setting, the area sits in a broad valley in the western part of Massachusetts located just six miles from the Connecticut border and the Berkshire Mountains to the North and West. With easy highway access, Springfield is ideally located for travel in all directions. The city is surrounded by small towns offering quintessential New England living and scoring in the top 10 of Forbes Best Places to Live, Family Circle Best Places to Live, and Livability.com.
Qualified applicants should electronically submit a brief cover letter, current resume, and the contact information for three professional references (all saved as one document) via this online application: https://www.aic.edu/careers/job-postings/