Search for University Jobs in Health Sciences
Clinical Services Director (0574U) 17322
University of California, Berkeley
Clinical Services Director (0574U) 17322
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The University Health Services (UHS) serves the campus as a comprehensive campus-based health center providing fully accredited primary medical care, counseling and psychological services and innovative health promotion programs for students, faculty and staff. UHS provides on-campus medical and mental health care and coordinates off-campus care through a network of community specialists and hospitals. Departments serving students include general medical, specialty and urgent care clinics, counseling and psychological services, laboratory, pharmacy, physical therapy, radiology and health promotion. In addition, the UHS administers a major medical insurance plan, the Student Health Insurance Plan. Learn more by visiting https://uhs.berkeley.edu/
We are currently seeking an experienced healthcare leader to oversee our student-facing medical services within University Health Services. This is a unique opportunity to direct a multidisciplinary Clinical Services Program serving a diverse student population. If you have strong healthcare and leadership experience and a passion for college health, this could be your opportunity!
As chair of the UHS Clinical Services Management Team, the Clinical Services Director works with executive leadership, unit managers, and UHS and campus partners to provide seamless access to high-quality, innovative, and patient-centered care for all students.
Reporting to the Medical Director, this position holds primary responsibility for the operational management and financial health of the Clinical Services Units. An advocate of a best-practices, data-driven approach to health care management, the Director develops, implements, and evaluates strategic and business plans; reviews clinical and utilization data to design/redesign efficient clinical systems and processes; implements and evaluates new service delivery/practice models; and ensures UHS meets the highest level of Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC) accreditation standards.
Key responsibilities include:
I. Leadership and Supervision
II. Administration and Management
- Key member of UHS' senior leadership teams responsible for strategic development and organizational planning.
- Provides high level leadership to Clinical Services Units in consultation with Medical Director. Acts as strategic partner; prepares budget forecasts, monitors expenditures, makes recommendations and implements decisions on operational and resource issues (HR, resources, funding or space) that have department-wide impact.
- Lead Clinical Services Units in a way that fosters team-based, inter-professional collegiality across the units.
- Foster a positive working culture based on shared innovation, continual improvement, diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging among all team members through interpersonal interactions and policy decisions.
- As appropriate to licensure and experience, will directly supervise Nurse Managers, Ancillary Managers, Registered Nurses, and/or other subordinate clinical support and/or ancillary staff. Provides leadership, professional direction, and direct supervision of selected staff, including hiring, orientation, coordination of training, staff development, performance management, schedule and timesheet approvals, etc.
- Recommends plans for personnel development and training needs of staff based on monitoring and review of performance goals, quality assurance indicators, and incident report investigations related to individual and team performance.
III. Accreditation and Quality Assurance
- Chairs the Clinical Services Management Team. An advocate of a best-practices, data-driven approach to health care management, the Director develops, implements, and evaluates strategic and business plans; reviews clinical and utilization data to design/redesign clinical systems and processes; implements and evaluates new service delivery/practice models; improves the delivery of patient care and service line cost-effectiveness, profitability, and efficiency to provide seamless access to quality patient-centered care for all students.
- Provides long range planning and establishes annual unit goals for clinics and ancillary services. Responsible for annual development and ongoing monitoring of clinical budgets. Provides coordination and consolidation of the medical delivery system.
- Designs and utilizes systems to monitor/evaluate overall access, as well as the coordination, continuity and consistency of service line functions within primary and urgent care clinics and ancillary services.
- Prepares and ensures consistent utilization of standardized nursing procedures, protocols, and guidelines contributing to improved clinical performance and patient care standards. With the Medical Director, responsible for ensuring that clinical staff are working within scope and in accordance with all applicable standards (including but not limited to licensure, accreditation, and legal).
- Provides management and oversight to clinical operations administrative teams. Provides oversight for ordering and purchasing clinical equipment, medical supplies selected medications, etc.
- Responsible for keeping the Clinical Services Units current with the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC) accreditation standards. Accordingly, the incumbent shall monitor and review accreditation standards each year, and make recommendations for implementation of practices to ensure Clinical Services Unit compliance with the same. Develops tools and processes to identify and monitor areas that need compliance revisions, as needed.
- Leads Clinical Services preparation for accreditation site visits; assigns tasks to appropriate staff and maintains contact throughout the process.
- Key member of Clinical Services Quality Improvement Committee: works closely with the Medical Director and QIC Chair(s) to establish annual CQI priorities and annual CQI calendar. Proactively identifies practice risks and makes recommendations to protect organizational interests
- Develops and implements departmental quality indicators and coordinates ongoing monitoring and evaluation activities, in collaboration with Unit Managers. Assists the appropriate area manager with the development of corrective action plans to be implemented when indicator measurement is below predetermined threshold
- Participates in risk management activities and collaborates with Risk Manager to review, analyze, and trend adverse incidents including patient complaints.
- Clinical operations
- Demonstrated experience in the assessment of clinical services and needs of patient populations
- Thorough knowledge of clinical operations and health care delivery systems.
- Significant experience associated with managing multiple medical care units and establishing operational efficiencies.
- Excellent skills in providing and managing the delivery of medical care services to a diverse client population.
- Thorough knowledge of campus policies, programs and initiatives relating to Health Care services provided to students, faculty and staff.
- Staff supervision
- Must have strong knowledge of the principles and practices of management and supervision
- Thorough knowledge of HR-related policies and procedures, including union contracts and preparation of contract negotiations, in consultation with Human Resources.
- Critical thinking and organization
- Excellent decision-making, analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Must have project management and organizational leadership skills.
- Must be able to collaborate with medical staff members and others across campus, both internal and external, at all levels in the organization on matters of significance.
- Proven ability to establish and implement new programs, priorities, goals and objectives and timelines for achievement of goals.
- Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments with minimal direction
- Communication and Collaboration
- Excellent written, electronic and verbal communication skills to communicate effectively with both students and staff at all levels in the organization, business partners, and the medical community.
- Diplomacy and skill in collaboration around difficult topics, experience with change management.
- Financial Management
- Thorough knowledge of budget/fiscal related processes.
- Proven ability to manage fiscal and HR resources.
- Computer literate including facility with electronic health records, Microsoft office software, Tableau or other data presentation tools, etc
- Experience in areas of quality assurance, where knowledge was used to develop and implement clinical indicators, establish thresholds, and recommend correct plans
- Experience in accreditation preparation (AAAHC or JACHO), familiarity with applicable standards.
- Knowledge of HIPAA and FERPA Privacy Rules, and California state laws regulating privacy and confidentiality of health information.
Licenses or certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in health professional area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Registered nurse, or Nurse Practitioner, or other allied healthcare provider required.
- Currently licensed in State of California as Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, or other allied healthcare provider.
- BLS (also known as CPR) Certified
- Position requires successful credentialing clearance through UC credentialing system at time of hire and periodically during employment.
- Position requires successful clearance of a criminal background check at time of hire and periodically during employment.
- Position requires a successful employee health clearance via infectious disease screening and ongoing surveillance at time of hire and periodically during employment.
- Master's degree or equivalent highly desirable (e.g. Master of Health Administration - MHA, Master of Public Health (MPH), Master of Nursing, Master of Business Administration)
Salary & Benefits
Hiring Range: $111,100 - $174,500 annually. Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Please include, as part of your application a brief (1-2 paragraph) statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in your professional experience.
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our UC Berkeley Principles of Community, which states that every member of the UC Berkeley community has a role in sustaining a safe, caring, and humane environment in which these values can thrive.
- The minimum posting duration of this position is 14 calendar days. The department will not initiate the application review process prior to April 28, 2021.
- Employment is contingent on successful completion of: Background Check, Acceptable Medical Evaluation that includes infectious disease surveillance and proof of current required vaccinations or immunity levels, and successful credentials verification.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=17322&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |