SAN JOSE/EVERGREEN COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
Mental Health & Wellness Counselor (Part-Time/Adjunct)
The San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is seeking a part-time/adjunct Mental Health & Wellness Counselor for the Fall 22 semester with the possibility for rehire in the 2022-2023 academic year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Plan, implement and deliver mental health services and mental health treatment to students in support of wellness, academic success, and retention (e.g. mental health outreach and prevention events/activities).
2. Assess, evaluate, and counsel students (individually and in groups) in a variety of health related concerns, including mental health and substance abuse issues.
3. Provide drop in crisis counseling to students in distress, and conduct crisis interventions and assessments as necessary.
4. Assist in the evaluation and response to student support referrals that come through Maxient. Update records on Maxient as needed.
5. Develop and maintain confidential patient records in accordance with applicable standards of practice and federal and state laws and regulations.
6. Provide professional development, training, and outreach to students, faculty, and staff on topics related to mental health (e.g. depression, anxiety, coping skills, students in distress, etc.)
7. Provide consultation to students, faculty, and staff regarding concerns, mental health issues, and best practices for supporting students with psychological issues.
8. Participate in the Assessment, Response, and Coordination (ARC)/Behavioral Intervention Team (examples of participation can include risk and psychological assessments, assist with coordinating/co-chairing team, attend team meetings, etc.)
9. Sit on appropriate committees that have direct impact on student mental health.
10. Participate and attend relevant meetings/events on campus and in the community; may represent the college at local and regional meetings/events related to mental health.
11. Knowledge and experience providing counseling with underrepresented, multicultural community college students.
12. Knowledge of applicable laws, standards and ethics of professional conduct related to independent practice of psychology, counseling and related topics in healthcare.
13. Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
14. Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
15. Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic and socio economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others.
16. Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
17. Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings and keep posted office hours.
18. Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g. grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
19. Foster a professional work and learning environment.
20. Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A Master's degree in Clinical Psychology or Marriage and Family Therapy
1. Possession of a valid California Psychology, LFMT, LCSW, or LPCC License.
2. Formal or recent experience with planning mental health outreach and prevention activities.
3. Experience working in a college or university health service.
4. Experience working with transitional age youth.
5. Awareness of and commitment to the philosophy and objectives of the California community college.
6. Bilingual abilities (Spanish /English or Vietnamese/English) and multicultural experience desirable.
Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Assignments may include day and evening responsibilities. This position is represented by the San José-Evergreen Community College District Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
Please apply using the Direct Link below
Direct Link: http://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/1749
Position #F19014, Open and Continuous
Other part-time instructors are needed to teach classes in other disciplines on an as needed basis.
Please refer to http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities for a complete list of all employment opportunities at San José-Evergreen Community College District.