Clinical Lab General Supervisor (9367U) 26661
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Innovative Genomics Institute (IGI) is a non-profit, academic research organization formed through the partnership of UC Berkeley and UC San Francisco, and located on the UC Berkeley campus. A key focus of the IGI is accelerating translation of CRISPR-based approaches to address real-world problems in human health, agriculture, and climate.
The IGI is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. The IGI is interested in candidates who will contribute to our commitment to excellence, diversity, and inclusion in academia. The IGI is also interested in individuals who may have had non-traditional career paths, taken time off for family/personal reasons, or excelled in careers outside academia.
The IGI Clinical Laboratory (IGICL) is a College of American Pathologists (CAP-accredited) laboratory that is passionate about equitable access to high-quality diagnostics. The General Supervisor (GS) of the IGICL is responsible for day-to-day oversight of laboratory operation and of testing personnel. They ensure the smooth running of the testing environment by maintaining data workflows, equipment, reagents, and supplies. Fulfills the CAP role of GS and is eligible to perform high complexity testing. The GS works closely with the Quality Assurance (QA) Supervisor and Laboratory Director to ensure QA metrics are being analyzed and met, and overall lab competency, safety and quality standards are met or exceeded.
In addition, the IGICL is preparing to bring next-generation sequencing diagnostics into the laboratory for SARS-CoV-2 viral sequencing and companion diagnostics for CRISPR gene-editing clinical trials. We seek a creative and forward-thinking individual, who will help shape the future of the clinical laboratory and be a part of the leadership team as we expand our test menu.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 11/18/2021
- Perform High Complexity Testing Performs laboratory testing at a rate of 25% FTE Maintains competency over all active instruments and methods in the Laboratory. Performs testing when needed to maintain turnaround time obligations.
- Oversees testing operations - laboratory Ensures proper care and maintenance of equipment is conducted and documented. Ensures the laboratory has appropriate resources, supplies, equipment, and staff to meet testing demands. In conjunction with the QA Supervisor, initiates and follows through with instrument and material service calls for laboratory equipment and materials (QC, Calibration, Preventative Maintenance visits, Repair visits, Reagent recalls, Software updates, Reagents, and Sample collection equipment). Assists and provides input to the laboratory budget and pricing of services. Conducts short and long range budget planning.
- Supervises the clinical lab scientists and support staff of the clinical lab. Directly oversees performance reviews and issue, recruitment, and equity assessments of all CLS Laboratory Assistants assigned to the laboratory. Responsible for scheduling staff, reviewing and approving staff timecards and time-off requests. Interviews, selects, and trains new laboratory staff. Trains Laboratory Staff on new or amended laboratory policies and procedures. Provides laboratory orientation tours for new staff or guests.
- Oversees testing operations - Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) Maintaining Integrity of LIMS, Data Flows, and Laboratory pipeline. Responsible for troubleshooting and correcting LIMS data flow issues. Ability to respond quickly, creatively, and confidently to data or other issues in the lab. Monitors samples in LIMS to ensure that turnaround time goals are met.
- Reviews results and quality control records to ensure validity and accuracy. Evaluates Quality Control (QC) reports to include daily, weekly, and monthly internal QC results. Ensures that remedial actions are taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications. Assumes responsibility for, or delegates, investigations and documentation tasks to laboratory staff for event report completion. Runs the Proficiency Testing program.
- Collects and reports data for benchmarking. Assists in coordinating or performing validation studies, concordance studies, equivalency experiments, as well as ongoing quality testing in compliance with CAP. Recommends additions or modifications of tests and procedures. Works with Technical Lead and Automation Engineer to improve and document process updates.
- Laboratory Safety Officer Maintains and enforces an existing laboratory Safety Program in conjunction with the Laboratory Director and campus EH&S. Recommends improvements of the Safety Program
- Team Projects Works efficiently within the team environment of the IGICL and contributes to team task accomplishment. Performs other tasks as assigned by the supervisor to support the goals of the institute. Participates in the development and monitoring of policies and procedures for the IGICL. Works to ensure the adherence to laws and regulations pertaining to laboratory inspection, safety, and licensure.
- Requires extensive knowledge of clinical laboratory operations and procedures and related LIMS.
- Skills associated with managing clinical laboratory and performing clinical functions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; strong ability to work in a collaborative manner.
- Extensive decision-making, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Strong ability to establish priorities, timelines and delegate work assignments.
- Strong computer skills.
- Extensive and sound knowledge of laboratory quality assurance and quality control procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of management and supervision.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Possession of Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) license issued by the California State Department of Health required.
- Extensive knowledge of fiscal and HR-related policies and procedures.
- Requires knowledge of electronic / medical records systems.
- Experience with Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) and RT-qPCR.
- Experience with Liquid Handling Robotics and Automation.
- Associate degree in a laboratory science or medical technology, with at least two years of training and/or experience in high complexity testing
- Bachelor's degree in a chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science or medical technology with at least one year of training and/or experience in high complexity testing
Salary & Benefits
Annual salary will be commensurate with experience.
To find the salary range for this position please visit: https://tcs.ucop.edu/tcs/jsp/nonAcademicTitlesSearch.htm
. Use the numeric title code in the Job Posting (listed in parenthesis) to enter into the title code field on the TCS website. Click search and then click on the title code link for the Berkeley Campus (BKCMP).
To review salary placement guidelines by years of experience please visit: https://hr.berkeley.edu/compensation-benefits/compensation/salary-and-pay/non-represented
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
100% FTE, contract appointment with duration of 12-months.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=26661&PostingSeq=1