Chaminade University of Honolulu
Chaminade University offers its students an education in a collaborative learning environment that prepares them for life, service and successful careers. Guided by its Catholic, Marianist and liberal arts educational traditions, Chaminade encourages the development of moral character, personal competencies, and a commitment to build a just and peaceful society. The University offers both the civic and church communities of the Pacific region its academic and intellectual resources in the pursuit of common aims.
Title: Assistant/Associate Professor of Nursing
Department: School of Nursing and Health Professions
The responsibilities of this position comprise of teaching both undergraduate and graduate Doctor of Nursing level courses in the School of Nursing Program. As a faculty member, the Professor is expected to participate actively in curriculum development and assessment, to advise students, serve on university and area committees, perform all duties professionally and ethically, and support the policies and mission of the University. In addition, the Professor is required to contribute and produce scholarship and continue professional development as a faculty member.
Direct Report to: Dean of the School of Nursing and Health Professions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach the required work load credits per semester in the Graduate or undergraduate programs
- Actively participate in division and university related activities and committees, the accreditation process, curriculum development, and scholarship (teaching, grant writing, research, publishing, and community service)
- Advise students
- Adhere to duties as described in the Faculty Handbook
- Develop a professional development plan and demonstrates a trajectory that promotes scholarship, community service and life-long learning
- Remain current in the latest industry practices, standards, equipment, research, and technology
This list of responsibilities is not exhaustive. The percentages regarding the essential and non-essential functions of the job are not precise and are only an approximation, which can vary on a day-to-day basis and are subject to change on an as-needed basis and/or in the sole discretion of supervisory management. Some holiday and weekend work may be required.
Education and Experience
- MSN from a regionally accredited institution in Nursing or a related field is required.
- RN licensure in the State of Hawaii.
- Doctorate in Nursing from a regionally accredited institution in Nursing or a related field is required
- Excellent record of teaching. Demonstrated potential for scholarly productivity.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in Nursing
- Proficient in the use of technology to support both in class and online learning environments
- Experience working with culturally and ethnically diverse students
- Must have the ability to create and facilitate a meaningful learning environment and demonstrate a willingness to teach a variety of Nursing courses in a diverse educational setting.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and work with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body at all levels of the university
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite or related software, learning management systems (e.g. Canvas), and other programs related to teaching, learning, advising, and assessment
- Organized with meticulous attention to detail with a focus on thoroughness and quality
- Dedication to providing high-quality education to students
- Familiarity with educational technology and ability to use it to enhance student learning
- Excellent project management skills and ability to prioritize work and resources
- Ability to meet deadlines
- High integrity and ethical standards
Duties involve light work in an office and community setting and requires a minimum of physical effort with intermittent sitting, standing, climbing stairs, and walking inclines. Must be able to lift 20 pounds, walk the campus with ease, and have excellent motor skills. Must have finger dexterity. Must be able to communicate information and ideas so that others will understand.
- This is a full time, exempt position. Forty hours per week (M-F) will be the general rule. However, depending on the project cycles and workflow demands of the department, additional hours or workday schedule changes may be occasionally required. Must be willing and able to work occasional nights and weekends and a varying schedule
- Performs such similar, comparable or related duties as may be assigned or required
- Observes all safety and health regulations and works in accordance with safe work procedures and policies of the University. Reports unsafe acts/conditions and injuries in a timely and proper manner
- The employee is expected to adhere to all University policies while employed. The policies can be found at https://chaminade.edu/compliance/resources/ or on the employee Share Portal
Marianist Identity/Native Hawaiian & Pacific Island Serving:
An expressed willingness to respect and support the Catholic and Marianist identity of Chaminade University of Honolulu and to perform all duties in a manner consistent with Marianist educational values and mission of the University. Understanding of and respect for the University’s designation as an institution that serves students of Native Hawaiian and Pacific Island ancestry.