Lab Assistant in Harris Lab (9603C) 7104
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The School of Public Health (SPH) is a large and complex professional school on the Berkeley campus. The mission of the School is to develop, adapt and apply diverse disciplines for the promotion and protection of the health of the human population. The School carries out this mission with programs of teaching, research, and service. The academic structure of the School of Public Health consists of a single department (Department of Public Health) and six divisions: BioStatistics, Community Health and Human Department, Environmental Health Science, Epidemiology, Health Policy and Management and Infectious diseases and Vaccinology) in which, faculty, students, and staffs are clustered in order to pursue organized study of areas of concentration and specialty fields.
A laboratory assistant position is available in the Harris laboratory, which works on the virology, immunology, pathogenesis and epidemiology of dengue and Zika. Dengue virus is a major public health problem worldwide caused by a mosquito-borne RNA flavivirus. Zika is an emerging virus in the Americas with severe neurological sequelae in newborns. Clinical and epidemiological studies are conducted in collaboration with scientists in Nicaragua as long-term partners in a region endemic for arboviruses. The main purpose of the position is to assist in scientific projects and perform experiments under close supervision and perform organizational and operational duties including logistics of supplies and sample organization and shipment for field studies, particularly focused on our collaboration with Nicaragua as well as Ecuador. Learn more at https://www.harrisresearchprogram.org/
- Performing serological assays for research studies.
- Ordering, receiving, packing and coordinating shipment of supplies to field sites.
- Coordinating the organization of patient samples and information from collaborators in Nicaragua and sending samples and associated data to collaborators in the US
- Supporting lab members with experiments, under supervision.
- 1 or more years of research work experience.
- 1 or more years of experience in tissue culture, sterile techniques, BSL2 Laboratory Environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Interest in working in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with Latin America and high-level proficiency in written and spoken Spanish.
Licenses or Certifications
- BS or BA in biological sciences and/or equivalent training/experience.
- Will require training through EH&S for BL2 work and in shipping of dry ice and biological materials.
- Self-motivated, energetic and able to work in a diverse team environment.
- Experience handling patient serum samples.
- Experience working within immunology, particularly the adaptive immune systems.
- Experience conducted laboratory techniques such as ELISAs for seroprevalence and virus production.
- Experience working with minimum BSL2 virus.
- Knowledge of Biosafety regulations.
- Computer and database management skills.
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, 18-month limited appointment position. Hiring range is up to $19.50 per hour and is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
This is a full-time, 18-month limited appointment position.
Per Technical UPTE Contract, Limited full time with full benefits appointment but not subject to career conversation when it exceeds 1000hrs.
Per UPTE Article 31 Positions/Appointments B.3: The automatic conversion to career status, as provided in Section B.2. above will not occur when: 3c. The funding for the position is "one time" funding, of eighteen (18) months or less.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=7104&PostingSeq=1