Search for University Jobs in Health Sciences
Campus Biosafety Officer (0358U), Environment, Health & Safety - 27474
University of California, Berkeley
Campus Biosafety Officer (0358U), Environment, Health & Safety - 27474
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
The Office of Environment, Health & Safety's (EH&S) mission is to provide guidance and services to the campus community that promote health, safety, and environmental stewardship. EH&S is a highly dynamic, fast paced, committed organization focused on promoting workplace safety and environmental protection for the campus community. We are comprised of many scientific, technical, and administrative professionals, working in an evolving, learning, and sometimes challenging environment with a unified goal of supporting the University's mission of teaching, research and public service. EH&S strives to be an inclusive, service oriented, and operationally excellent organization and is seeking highly motivated individuals who want to learn, be creative, seek continuous competency development, and contribute to our mission.
The Campus Biosafety Officer is the campus expert on the safe handling of highly regulated biohazards and potentially biohazardous materials, ensures safe use of biohazardous and potentially biohazardous materials in research, health and education on campus, and provides other laboratory safety services to the Berkeley campus and affiliated field stations.
For more information about EH&S, visit ehs.berkeley.edu.
- Performs complex technical work in biological safety.
- Serves as the campus expert on the safe handling of highly regulated biohazards and potentially biohazardous materials.
- Develops procedures using a combination of original and standard professional approaches/techniques to solve substantive, complex problems with multiple variables.
- Performs or directs outreach, communication, and training to campus within the biosafety field.
- Applies appropriate scientific and professional standards to recommend campus/university policies and programs and, as needed, create new methodologies.
- Provides expert counsel by evaluating, interpreting and applying laws, regulations, codes and standards across complexity of environmental, health, and safety disciplines as they relate to biosafety and provides technical expertise to support the campus Medical Waste Program.
- Assesses all research protocols that involve biohazards or potentially biohazardous material.
- Coordinates and performs annual and supplemental laboratory biosafety inspections to monitor compliance and prevent hazards.
- Represents the campus Biosafety Program to federal and state agencies regulating the use of biohazards on campus.
- Provides technical support to, and contact for, the campus Committee for Laboratory & Environmental Biosafety. Submits annual reports to the NIH Office of biotechnology Activities
- Supervise the Biosafety Team, including the Associate and Assistant Biosafety Officers, the Research Compliance Analyst and the High Containment Laboratory Director.
- Directs the work of subordinates and tracks performance goals.
- Provides design requirements, operation requirements, and management recommendations for all facilities using biohazards, including biosafety Level 3 facilities.
- Oversees the work of contractors in certifying and maintaining biological safety cabinets on campus.
- Provides input to federal and state regulators through trade associations and industry groups for writing and revision of regulations.
- Organizes, equips and oversees ad hoc departmental, campus or system wide teams as needed.
- Writes and updates written materials for faculty and staff to reflect current state-of-the art biosafety practices, in particular the campus Biosafety Manual, the Biological Use Authorization application, quick reference guides, compliance guides, and training handouts.
- Inspects, investigates incidents and complaints involving biohazards and potentially biohazardous materials, and recommends corrective action as needed.
- Drafts reports and other documentation, including use of relevant scientific data.
- Provides backup support to the Assistant Biosafety Officer in the area of animal care and use and, as needed, provides technical support to the campus Animal Care & Use Committee and animal facilities on research involving the use of biohazards and other hazardous agents in animals.
- Serves as a campus laboratory safety specialist and advisor to departments with wet laboratories.
- Maintains knowledge/expertise with existing and proposed changes of all regulations in all subject areas.
**See Governing Laws and Regulations below.
- Works on professional committees and assignments, participates in professional training and attends relevant conferences, and/or is mentored or coached on a formal or informal basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including but not limited to:
- At the request of campus management (EH&S Director, VC Administration, UCPD Chief, or designated alternate), serve in a designate role within the EH&S Emergency Support Function and be on call to the campus Emergency Operations Center in a campus designated disaster or campus hazardous material release/threatened release.
- Provide appropriate emergency response role based upon expertise and, where applicable, designated departmental role.
Governing Laws and Regulations
- USDA Agricultural Bioterrorism Protection Act of 2002; Possession, Use and Transfer of Biological Agents and Toxins
- DHHS Regulations for the Possession, Use, and Transfer of Select Agents and Toxins
- NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules
- NIH/CDC Guidelines "Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories"
- Cal/OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard
- California Medical Waste Management Act
- IATA, DOC, DOT, USDA, CDC, USFW, CDFA, CDFG transportation, importation and shipping regulations
- USDA Field Release Permits
- EPA Field Release Regulations
- Applicable Cal/OSHA standards (Aerosol Transmissible Diseases, Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories, Fume Hoods and Biological Safety Cabinets, IIPP, HAZWOPER)
- City of Berkeley Hazardous Materials Ordinance
- National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity guidelines
- California Department of Fish and Game Regulations governing transgenic aquatic animals
- Advanced or expert knowledge/understanding of broad range of EH&S fields and familiarity with all EH&S fields.
- Advanced or expert knowledge and skill in applying and interpreting applicable local, state, and federal regulations and related standards, guidelines and, as appropriate, recommend campus policy.
- Expert knowledge of laboratory safety, including biosafety cabinet operation, fume hoods and laboratory ventilation, personal protective equipment, and chemical safety and storage.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills, including advanced political acumen and skill to effectively communicate with diverse constituencies in a highly political environment.
- Advanced skill to effectively represent the campus to state and federal authorities, and community groups.
- Advanced analytical and organizational skills to organize, prioritize and manage the successful completion of projects within budget and time constraints.
- Proven supervisory experience to meet campus and departmental standards.
- Skill in mentoring or overseeing the work of other EH&S technical and professional staff.
- Skill to appropriate use technology and relevant scientific equipment as required.
- Advanced degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Licenses or certification, if any:
Salary & Benefits
- Professional certification.
- Certification as a Biosafety Professional (CBSP), or Registered Biosafety Professional
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27474&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |