Effectively manage the data and personnel for the clinical phase of the Physician Assistant Program, including student placements, clinical affiliations, site development and maintenance, critical analysis of student and preceptor assessments, clinical faculty evaluation, and management of policies related to the clinical phase of the program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Clinical Coordinator responsibilities 100%
· Responsible for providing regular accreditation reports as directed by the program, meeting minutes, curriculum submissions, the CRM/faculty manual, clinical policies/procedures, managing site visits and clinical contracts process, preceptor and student information packets, student housing, the clinical evaluation process, call back programming and the clinical year rotation scheduling. Responsible for maintaining syllabi for clinical rotations to include rotation-specific objectives and clinical data tracking and analysis documenting outcomes in accordance with ARC accreditation standards.
· Chair the clinical review committee and oversee the review and analysis of clinical data collection.
· Maintain clinical database and portals, patient logging systems, testing programs, proctoring software and various other software programs utilized by program and clinical agencies.
· Maintain student evaluations from clinical preceptors and generate rotation grades for the clinical year. Manage end of rotation examinations.
· Collect pertinent information from clinical sites and disseminate the information to faculty during the curriculum review processes.
· Prepare periodic reports to faculty on student(s) performance in the clinical setting identifying didactic areas of weakness; when appropriate, inform faculty of the clinical education phase
policies and procedures and of problems as necessary
· Assist in the development of accreditation material and documentation.
· Maintain ongoing communication with clinical preceptors, provide preceptors orientation, develop and maintain clinical objectives, develop and implement an evaluation process, review clinical placement guidelines/expectations, and develop program clinical polices/procedures. Plan and implement preceptor workshops or trainings.
· Assess student performance and progress at clinical sites through routine communication with clinical sites, preceptors and routine sites visits.
· Schedule, communicate and instruct students regarding clinical site requirements, obtaining and completing the necessary compliance documentation, and academic/ behavioral expectations while participating in clinical rotations.
· Assist in the negotiation of clinical site affiliation agreements. Actively pursue additional sites and clinical opportunities for the program.
Other Duties and Special Projects, As Assigned
· Special projects assigned, as necessary
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The items below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, education, and experience required or preferred.
This position requires the ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
· Experience as an educator in a university setting or hospital
· Experience as a PA educator, specifically a clinical coordinator, is preferred
· Content expertise in a clinical specialty highly desirable; current clinical practice not required
· Experience with curriculum development
· Recent experience in teaching principles and simulation preferred. If no experience, then the candidate must have the passion and energy to learn simulation methodology and its ability to transform healthcare education.
· Excellent interpersonal and human relation skills with demonstrated success in conflict resolution and negotiation
· Demonstrates creativity and flexibility in designing innovative approaches to solving problems
· Technical expertise within an administrative and operational function
· In-depth understanding of the university services, operations and standards
· General computer applications and systems
2. Supervisory Responsibilities:
· Faculty on clinical team
· Student in clinical phase of the program
· Excellent written and oral presentation skills
· Ability to prioritize and organize workload
· Knowledge of clinical development/rotations and department management in higher education
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· In-depth knowledge of the roles and requirements of physician assistants
4. Education and/or Experience:
Masters’ degree in related field. Ph. D in a health science or related field preferred
· Teaching experience in higher education required and administrative experience strongly preferred
· Typical office environment
· Mostly indoor office environment with windows
· Offices with frequent interruptions
· Considerable time is spent at a desk using a computer