Assistant/Associate Professor (Non-Tenure Stream)
Department of Health and Physical Activity – University of Pittsburgh
POSITION: Assistant/Associate Professor in the Non-Tenure-Track who can contribute to the mission of the Department of Health and Physical Activity. The mission of the department is to teach and study the spectrum and pattern of physical activity and promoting health and preventing disease across the lifespan; which includes behavioral, physiological, public health, and translational considerations. This position is focused on recruitment of a faculty member to contribute to this mission and to support the curricular and scholarly mission of the department.
APPOINTMENT: Eight-month, full-time, non-tenure-track appointment; starting August 2019.
1. Completed Doctorate in Exercise Physiology, Physical Activity, Nutrition, Public Health, Preventive Medicine, Health Psychology, Health Promotion or related field.
2. Commitment to excellence in teaching, advising, and mentoring of students.
3. The ability to teach core and specialty courses in both the undergraduate and graduate curricula that may include courses specific to applied exercise science, physical activity, health, and other related areas. Additional expertise in human physiology, biomechanics, nutrition, aging, or public health is preferred.
3. Evidence of engagement in scholarly activity that may include publications, presentations, etc.
4. The ability to provide ancillary support to the well-established research and/or service mission of the department.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The candidate will be expected to:
1. Be committed to teaching, advising, and mentoring a diverse student body including Undergraduate Majors and Minors, Master and Doctoral level students within the Department of Health and Physical Activity who are preparing for clinical, applied, or research careers.
2. Engage in professional scholarly activities.
3. Perform relevant University and professional service.
4. Work in partnership with diverse populations within the University and regional/geographical community that builds on the collaborative strengths of the Department, School, and University.
SALARY AND RANK: Competitive salary will be commensurate with qualifications at a rank of Assistant /Associate Professor in the non-tenure stream.
DEPARTMENT AND UNIVERSITY DESCRIPTION: The mission of the department is to teach and study the spectrum and pattern of physical activity and promoting health and preventing disease across the lifespan. This allows for strong collaborations with faculty in the School of Medicine, Graduate School of Public Health, School of Nursing, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, School of Computer and Information Sciences, School of Engineering, and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC). This also allows for strong collaborations with the Healthy Lifestyle Institute, Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute, Aging Institute, Center for Urban Education, Center for Behavioral Health and Smart Technology, and numerous others. The University of Pittsburgh ranks 3rd overall in federally funded research by the National Institutes of Health. For 2018, Pitt is ranked as the best public university in the Northeastern United States. The University of Pittsburgh is located in the city of Pittsburgh, PA in Southwestern Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh is ranked as one of the "Most Livable Cities" by Places Rated Almanac with access to a wide array of recreation opportunities, professional and collegiate athletic events, and a vibrant cultural district.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Review of applications and considerations to invite candidates to engage in a Skype interview or an on-campus visit will begin on November 5, 2018 and continue the position is filled. To apply for a position, please upload your letter of application, curriculum vitae, research statement, three representative writing samples, and the names and contact information for three academic references to: http://www.education.pitt.edu/facultysearch/. If you are unable to upload your documents, then please mail materials to: Health and Physical Activity Search, Office of the Dean, School of Education University of Pittsburgh, 5605 WWPH, Pittsburgh, PA 15260. For questions about the submission process or the position, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the search committee chair as listed on the website.