Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conducts research which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students - are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Health Sciences (CHS) was established in 2016 following a 30-year success story as a department within various colleges at Qatar University. CHS is the national provider of high quality health sciences education and research in Qatar and offers undergraduate (BSc) programs in Biomedical Sciences, Human Nutrition, Physiotherapy, Public Health, Speech and Language Pathology as well as graduate programs in Biomedical Sciences (MSc), Public Health (MPH), Human Nutrition (MSc) and Minors in Food Safety and Public Health. It is part of the wider QU Health Cluster that includes the Colleges of Pharmacy, Medicine, Nursing and Dental Medicine - http://www.qu.edu.qa/health.
The College of Health Sciences aspires to have its faculty, staff, and students achieve distinction in teaching, research, and community services, and for the recognition of its health degree programs as models of excellence and exceptional achievement.
In alignment with the Qatar Vision 2030, the mission of the College of Health Sciences is to prepare competent graduates who will contribute to the delivery of optimal healthcare, to promote research and scholarly activity and to prepare for careers in health care and higher education.
The Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science (PTRS) was launched in 2018 and Restructured into Rehabilitation Sciences (RH) in 2023. It offers two Bachelor of Science degree programs including BSc. in Physiotherapy and BSc. in Speech and Language Pathology.
The Speech and Language Pathology program was approved in Spring 2023 and will start its first intake in Fall 2023. The program is delivered in English and its curriculum is innovative and future oriented, thematic in nature with team-based learning, and moves away from the more traditional teaching pedagogies.
The RS Department seeks to appoint full time faculty members to commence their positions for the academic year 2023-2024, and the successful candidates will commence duty in Spring 2024/Fall 2024.
Duties & Responsibilities
The appointee will be expected to carry out the following activities, among others:
- Deliver high-quality, innovative, student-centered courses as well as foundational courses in the degree program.
- Participate in the preparation of the program for accreditation and other quality initiatives.
- Contribute to developing research capacity within the Department.
- Contribute to the stakeholder engagement within the professional community in support of teaching, research and professional development.
- Contribute to various committees at the program, College, and University level.
- Serve as student advisor.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department and/or the program coordinator.
Essential qualification and experience
- Be a qualified speech and language pathologist eligible for registration to practice in her/his country and a member of his/her professional organization.
- Hold a PhD in Speech and Language Pathology or related degree.
- Demonstrates evidence of teaching excellence in the design, delivery and evaluation of Speech and Language Pathology entry to practice education program(s) and courses.
- Show evidence of a track record, consistent with experience, of research activity and outputs including grants and peer-reviewed publications.
- Demonstrate excellent written & oral communication and interpersonal skills.
*Candidates who are versatile across various Speech and Language Pathology and health content-specific teaching areas will be highly considered.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience of curriculum development.
- Arabic speaker.
- Experience in clinical/practice education development and delivery.
- Experience in supervising students.
- Evidence of leadership in the professional community.
- International teaching experience including working in culturally diverse environments.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
College’s website: http://www.qu.edu.qa/chs
Required Documents – note applications must be submitted via QU approved recruitment portals or directly online at QU Jobs, or by sending the documents to CHSacademics.email@example.com
Please note carefully the following requirements - incomplete applications will deem the candidate ineligible for further consideration
- A cover letter written for this application [not a generic one] which outlines clearly how your teaching, research and contribution/service experience to date relates to the above requirements.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Three referees’ recommendation letters and contact information (email addresses as well as their telephone contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where coursework was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of certificate letter from the Registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- One-way Economy class air tickets for yourself, spouse and up to three children (under 18 years of age) accompanying you to relocate to Qatar. Upon termination of employment, one-way economy class air tickets for yourself, spouse and up to three children (under 18 years of age) to return to your registered country of nationality, as governed by Qatar University policies and regulations. Annual economy tickets will also be provided to you home country.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.