Search for University Jobs in Health Sciences
Medical Assistant 2, Occupational Health (9252C) 38870
University of California, Berkeley
Medical Assistant 2, Occupational Health (9252C) 38870
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
As a national collegiate leader, University Health Services (UHS) is a comprehensive campus-based health center providing fully accredited medical and mental health care, education, a major medical insurance plan, and innovative health promotion programs for students, faculty and staff. UHS is deeply committed to ensuring affordable, well-integrated, multidisciplinary healthcare that effectively supports the university's diverse campus communities, through equitable access and culturally competent, high-quality programs and services.
The Clinical Services Program within UHS includes primary care, urgent care, occupational health and specialty clinics, clinical laboratory, pharmacy, physical therapy and radiology. Learn more by visiting https://uhs.berkeley.edu/
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 7/26/2022
Clinic Reception -Front Office MA:
- Greets patients, verifies eligibility, and accurately completes check-in/check out of patients using correct forms.
- Answers telephone and refers to appropriate personnel as required to meet patient needs. Takes clear and accurate messages.
- Able to answer most patient questions, is able to escalate to Nurse Manager as appropriate
- Schedules/reschedules patient appointments, using a computerized appointment system
- Assist with scheduling for patients with needs outside our department (PT, jobs abilities at Alta Bates, etc.)
- Troubleshoot complex scheduling needs
- Send No Show letters to patients and to Sedgwick
- Assists in maintaining smooth clinic operations and optimal patient flow.
- Directs or escorts patients as necessary. Assures that patients leaving the area have appropriate instructions, forms and referral information.
- Process DFR's
- Handle urgent requests from providers or Urgent Care
Patient Care (provides back up for)
- Rooming patients
- Utilizes electronic health record accurately to record temperature, pulse, blood pressure, height, and weight per unit guidelines. Records allergies and current medications into EHR. Documents all findings and alerts clinician of abnormal findings.
- Assists clinicians with examinations and procedures, using sterile techniques if indicated.
- Actively monitor and assist clinician and patient during visit
- Assists as needed with wound care, and fits and applies ace wraps, splints, slings, crutches, instructs client in use of same.
- After completion of training, completes Visual Screening Exams(e.g., Snellen, Titmus OPTEC 2000 or equivalent, Ishihara plates, depth perception plates)
- After completion of the training course, may administer pulmonary function screening testing (spirometry) per the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.
- After completion of the training course, may perform screening audiometry as per Occupational Hearing Conservation guidelines.
- Back up for administering vaccines and TB skin tests, as outlined within the scope of practice and after training and orientation
- Reports, intervenes appropriately and documents unsafe conditions or adverse patient conditions. Completes incident reports as per protocol.
- Works with Nurse Manager to provide training and orientation for new employees
Back office and Administrative Support (provides back up for)
- Processing charts - referrals, MEW, notes sent to Sedgwick
- Address email communications to and from Sedgwick
- Assist with referrals to specialists, physical therapy, diagnostic testing and imaging, and ergonomic evaluations: includes obtaining authorization from insurance, coordinating appointment scheduling between client and referral, seeking out reports from specialists, scanning information into EHR and alerting clinician if immediate attention is required.
- Organizes and scans in results of lab tests, diagnostic studies, letters, medical records, etc., into EHR (currently Systoc)
- Provides Systoc quality assurance, reviewing appointments and assuring completion of orders based off of protocols.
Clinic Maintenance and Supplies:
- Utilizes equipment correctly and safely.
- Informs Nurse Manager and Administrative Assistant when supplies need to be ordered
- Cleans rooms and MA station as needed per protocol.
Other duties as assigned
- Has a minimum of one year medical assisting in a high volume, fast paced outpatient setting.
- Minimum 3-6 month clerical experience in a medical setting using a computerized appointment system and multiple phone line systems.
- Excellent customer services skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to understand and follow written protocols for patient care.
- Must understand and comply with HIPAA, and all regulations regarding the confidentiality of employee medical records.
- Must be literate with computer applications for practice management, medical records and patient tracking.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative manner.
- Anticipates interpersonal conflict and intervenes to promote resolution of conflict; deals with conflict on a one-to-one basis, and escalates up the chain of command as needed
- Attends staff meetings and keeps abreast of current issues when not able to attend. Actively participates in discussion of problem identification and resolution.
- Requests and accepts constructive criticism
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own practice.
- Respects rights of others.
- Demonstrates flexibility; accepts assignments willingly or discusses concerns with supervisor/team leader.
- Shares knowledge in a constructive manner.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and applies safety principles.
- Seeks to improve skills and knowledge and meet job related goals via local, regional and community resources
- Willingness to complete a spirometry training program approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health if needed for clinical operations..
- Willingness to complete training and certification as an Occupational Hearing Conservationist if needed for clinical operations.
- Demonstrates punctuality to work and required meetings.
- Maintains attendance and follows call-in policy as per UHS guidelines.
- High school diploma or GED or equivalent education and/or training.
- Medical Assistant Training program
- Prior experience in an occupational health clinic setting
- Specialized knowledge of California Worker's Compensation system and occupational health.
- Fluency in Spanish or Chinese language
Salary & Benefits
Hiring Range: $25.94 - $29.80 per hour. Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
- This position is career type, 80-100% FTE, based on candidate availability and business needs.
- Your employment is dependent on obtaining and maintaining a credentialing clearance, background clearance and medical clearance according to University Health Service policies.
- This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Patient Care Technical Unit (EX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/ex/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=38870&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |