The PhD in Social and Political Science prepares highly motivated candidates for academia or research oriented careers in social and political science. It is a 4-year full-time program open to students who demonstrate strong qualification and motivation for research in demography, political economy, public management and administration, political science, and/or sociology. The program has a set of elective courses designed for specialization in one of the fields listed above.
In the first two years, students acquire cutting-edge theoretical and methodological skills that inform specialization in either political and social science, as well as a topic area consistent with candidate interest and faculty expertise. During the second year, students are required to write a research paper under the guidance of one of the faculty members. The third and fourth years are devoted to research that will form the basis of the students’ doctoral dissertations.
During their tenure, students will be exposed to the most advanced research from some of the most highly acclaimed scholars working in the field.
Students will also have opportunities to participate in exchanges and internships with leading policy institutes across the globe.
Applications can be submitted by candidates of any citizenship who:
- have completed or are completing their graduate studies and
- have at least a "proven" B2 (CEFR) level of competence in English
For the PhD in Social and Political Science, the PhD School offers:
- a maximum of 5 places with a fellowship
- 1 place with a merit-based tuition waiver covering up to 100% of tuition fees
Tuition fees for students without a fellowship or tuition waiver amount to € 15,000 for year 1 and 2 and € 5,000 for year 3 and 4.
For more detailed information, please see the full official call published on the website www.unibocconi.eu/admissionphd
For more detailed information about our program, please visit the website:
To apply for our PhD program, only our online application procedure may be used.
Applications are due by 17 January 2022.
The assessment of the applicant is based on:
1. Personal curriculum: full CV
2. Academic records: transcript of exams and certification of undergraduate and graduate degrees awarded and final grade (if any); if the graduate program has not been completed, an enrollment document with the full study plan, the exams taken and the grades achieved
3. International Graduate Admission Tests scores: the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
4. Statement of purpose: short description (max 1200 words) of your motivation for enrollment in a Bocconi PhD program, your research interests and professional goals
5. Reference letters: up to three reference letters uploaded by referees appointed in the online application procedure
6. Other relevant documents (maximum five): e.g. publications, other programs attended, etc.
A minimum of 60 total points out of 100 is required to be eligible for admission to the program.
Please consult our website for complete details of our application procedure
For more information about the program, please feel free to contact our Program Assistant at email@example.com