Search for University Jobs in Health Sciences
Chair - School of Nursing - College of Health and Human Sciences (6297)
Northern Illinois University
Northern Illinois University (NIU) is a comprehensive teaching and research institution with a diverse and international student body of approximately 16,000. NIU is included in the Doctoral Universities – High Research Activity and Community Engaged Institution categories by the Carnegie Foundation and is a member of the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities. NIU is located in DeKalb, IL, offering a small-town environment with all of the benefits of a large university and adjacent Chicago metropolitan area.
The School of Nursing (SON) is composed of undergraduate and graduate academic programs, including the B.S. and M.S. in Nursing and the Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P) degrees with RN to B.S., B.S. to D.N.P., and M.S. to D.N.P. programs. Nursing faculty, staff, and students also engage with the college-wide Ph.D. in Health Sciences. The B.S., M.S., and D.N.P. degree programs in nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
The SON currently has 9 tenure/tenure-track faculty, 6 clinical faculty, 36 instructors, 5 administrators, and 7 academic staff members. Approximately 175 graduate students and 500 undergraduate students are currently enrolled in SON degree programs. The school has alliances with community-based organizations and other health services organizations.
The College of Health and Human Sciences (CHHS) at Northern Illinois University seeks a Chair, the Chief Academic and Administrative Officer of the School of Nursing (SON), to build a collaborative and inclusive community. The Chair will be accountable directly to the Dean of the college for all aspects of the operation of and planning for the school. The Chair is the spokesperson of the school in all official transactions and is responsible for the proper functioning of the school as an instructional, research/artistic, and public service unit.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In accordance with applicable university, college, and school bylaws and policies, the chair is responsible for:
- Defining the school’s scope, mission, and objectives.
- Providing leadership on the school’s capacity to carry out its mission and accomplish its objectives.
- Supporting strategic growth in instructional, research/scholarly, and public service areas.
- Assuring and, whenever possible, improving the school’s capacity to carry out its mission and accomplish its objectives with distinction.
- Serving as a member of the college senior leadership team.
- Advocating for the academic programs in the school.
- Serving as the spokesperson for all official communications and transactions with employees, other units of the university, alumni, and external constituents.
- Representing the school at university events.
- Demonstrating and promoting sensitivity to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Developing and administering effective operating policies and practices for the school.
- Directing day-to-day operational responsibilities of the school.
- Overseeing scheduling of courses.
- Assigning workload and schedules of employees.
- Coordinating program review, accreditation, and other reporting activities as applicable
- Facilitating curricular recommendations.
- Making recommendations regarding promotion and/or tenure.
- Managing resources assigned to the school.
- Planning, obtaining, budgeting, allocating and managing resources.
- Making budget, curricular, and personnel recommendations.
- Overseeing student recruitment, retention, advisement, and enrollment management strategies, plans, and activities.
- Encouraging proposals for external and internal funding.
- Engaging in advancement activities in coordination with the Dean and college advancement professional.
- Coordinating the selection and hiring of all classification of employees.
- Supervising employees assigned to the school.
- Exercising independent judgment in conducting evaluations of employees and in taking personnel actions such as progressive discipline and/or remediation, including recommendation for discharge or termination.
- Assuming an academic and scholarly role within the school.
- Maintaining professional/disciplinary currency.
- Teaching courses and advising students.
- Fostering excellence in teaching and scholarship.
- Demonstrating and promoting sensitivity to student issues.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Earned doctorate in nursing or related health field and a master’s in nursing if the earned doctorate is in a non-nursing health-related field.
- Current active and unencumbered, unrestricted Illinois RN License or eligible for licensure in Illinois.
- A record of accomplishment consistent with tenure and rank of associate or full professor in a school of nursing
- Engagement in the nursing profession demonstrating awareness of discipline-related issues
- Advancing roles of mentorship and leadership experience,
- Significant accomplishments in teaching, research/scholarly activities, and service.
- Experience in budget planning and decision-making,
- Experience in personnel supervision and management,
- Experience in curriculum and program development, and
- Experience in nursing program accreditation and program outcomes evaluation.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong leadership acumen.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Detail oriented.
- Strong work ethic.
- Ability to think critically and strategically.
- Facility in promoting a positive culture and climate.
- Qualifications consistent with appointment at full professor status.
- Experience in fundraising including donor relations.
- Demonstrated skill in team building and strategic planning.
- Prior roles engaging directly with university-level administration.
Physical Demands Summary
- Able to work in an office environment
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |