Search for University Jobs in Health Sciences
Director of PhD Program, Health Sciences - College of Health and Human Sciences (38665) EXTENDED SEARCH
Northern Illinois University
The director serves a college-level appointment reporting directly to the Dean or Dean’s delegate for program matters and to the Chair of the School that houses their academic appointment for faculty roles and related duties.
Responsibilities include, and are not limited to, the day-to-day general management of the college-wide PhD in Health Sciences, providing oversight in all matters related to the year-long hybrid program. This includes coordinating program staff, residential events held at a regional NIU campus, student committees, program committees and chairing or serving on program committees. The director will serve for a three-year term that may be renewed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The director will report to the Dean or Dean’s delegate and assist in:
- overseeing program events, academic advising, and student orientation processes,
- overseeing student admission, progression, and dismissal processes,
- providing supervision of students, program faculty, and academic advisors regarding academic activities and concerns, recruiting faculty participation and facilitating student committee formation; including committee members external to CHHS and NIU
- recruiting, supporting, and supervising teaching faculty delivering of core courses,
- overseeing all activities related to course delivery including courses and instructional faculty such as scheduling, end of grade submissions, and including candidacy examinations, independent study courses, and dissertation enrollment
- managing curriculum development, program assessment, program review, marketing, and related activities,
supporting the CHHS HS doctoral program steering committee, serving on the CHHS curriculum committee as requested, and other administrative and shared governance standing committees (as appropriate),
- overseeing budget management, planning, and faculty stipends,
- serving as a liaison between the PhD program, other CHHS graduate programs, the College office, CHHS Schools, and various other University units including the Graduate School and the Division of Outreach and Regional Development, as appropriate,
- convening collective efforts across CHHS to improve graduate education and student experiences,
- maintaining positive relations with the Colleges, Programs or other units within the University and wider community, and
- other duties assigned by the Dean or Chair
During this 3-year appointment period, the director will receive a 3 course (9 credits) release for administrative duties. In addition, at least a 1 course (3 credits) release for delivery of no-cost sections of UHHS 770 Independent Study oversight and instructor of record; UHHS 798 Candidacy Examination (up to 5 sections per year): and continuous UHHS 799 Doctoral Research and Dissertation including student preparation and support activities for UHHS 798 and UHHS 799 throughout the year. Compensation for covering director responsibilities over the summer months will be payment of a stipend based on 1-month’s salary.
Additionally, the director will:
- maintain an ongoing program of scholarship, and
- teach two courses (6 credits) as appropriate.
Minimum Required Qualifications
Successful candidates must:
- hold a doctoral degree in one of the academic disciplines represented in the College or in a closely related discipline,
- be eligible for a tenure or a tenure-track appointment in one of the College’s Schools,
- be qualified to be a full or senior member of the graduate faculty at NIU,
- have experience with interdisciplinary collaboration,
- have experience with academic program management, or the demonstrated potential to develop such management skills,
- have knowledge of the structure, academic policies, processes, and procedures of academic programs,
- have experience with academic assessment and program evaluation processes,
- provide evidence of ability to teach effectively at the university level,
- have an established program of scholarship including familiarity with the external funding process,
- have experience delivering academic programming in an online format
- have a history of positive interaction with colleagues and students, and
- have an ability to communicate effectively.
Physical Demands Summary
Strong consideration will be given to candidates with:
- a PhD degree in one of the academic disciplines represented in the College,
- eligibility for the rank of professor or associate professor in a CHHS academic department,
- experience teaching in an interdisciplinary environment or managing an interdisciplinary graduate program
- experience teaching and advising PhD students and leading PhD dissertation committees,
- experience tracking and managing students from the point of inquiry to commencement,
- a history of successfully securing competitive extramural research funding,
- experience developing and evaluating online academic programs, and
- experience teaching university-level courses online.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |